issues for organization to developing next release

News and discussion about beta versions and CVS changes
Mocchi

issues for organization to developing next release

Postby Mocchi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 am

Dear users and developers,

I'm one of core developer (and currently only an active developer). And I also lead Japanese Developers at http://sourceforge.jp/projects/nucleus-jp/.

The aim of this post is to do my responsibility as a core developer.

Last year, I worked hard for Nucleus CMS to improve internationalization, localization, mainly handling characters encoded by UTF-8. Almost of my commits was done the first half of last year. I post my patches to core developer's mailing list before commit to our git branch.

Then I reallized that few people checked my patch. I can get replies from Frank and gRegor but not so much. Actually active core developers are two or less in the mailing list. The mailing list is on nucleuscms.org and it's completely closed. So you cannot view my posts and this causes we cannot attract interested persons.

I think this is not good and need to gain public mailing list. Its archive should be browseable, the interested persons can freely subscribe and unsubsctibe. A new developer can join in the developing via mailing list to post patches, or users can report unknown bugs.

I posted this idea to the closed mailing list and got a few replies. I heard some agreements in these replies. Then I suspend my commitment of developing 4.0 release till the new communication tool is launched.

Several months past since this, I cannot get announcement to open such a mailing list and cannot start my commitment...

In second hafl of last year, we, Japanese Developers release 3.65 to work with PHP 5.4. Some modification we did is commited in upstream 3.6 branch. The reason I didn't work to release upstream 3.65 is that there are little communication between core developers. I wanted to avoid to go ahead of upstream (nucleuscms.org) but I got strong demand from Japanese users.

Well to summarize the reasons to stop the development:
1. lack of communication and tools for it
2. few active core developers in the mailing list even if interested developers exist in this world
3. lack of the way to gather information about new ideas and unknown bugs from users

I hope to discuss about these issue to go for next release.
Last edited by Mocchi on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Mocchi,

I appreciate your hard work and the contributions of the Japanese community. You really have been carrying the weight this past year. Unfortunately, my life and job situation has changed and I have very little free time to work on Nucleus. I do need to do a few administrative things for you with the sourceforge and mailing lists. I will try to set aside some time on Saturday morning to complete those tasks.

I would like to see the 4.0 released, too. I need to set you up to become the lead driver of it.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm

I too, would like to express my appreciation for the work you have put into Nucleus.

And if there is ever anything a non-coder can do to help, I am happy to help.
Imajica

Postby Imajica » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:46 am

Mocchi,

I'm not a developer but a very active Nucleus user and tester, I host maybe a dozen sites all based on Nucleus

I'll be honest I didn't realize that Nucleus was still under development

WillyP and ftruscot have been wonderful at supporting the existing platform, and I think them for that.

I also have to be honest in saying that I have looked at other packages to replace Nucleus, but I keep coming back to it.

As a user, if there is anything to test please feel free to let me know and I'll be looking at the development area on sourceforge to check it out.

John
Mocchi

Postby Mocchi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm

WillyP
I believe enough communication proceed good developing. There are many things to do for non-coder. Of cource coder also has. I'm very happy to hear you.
I need English user who support me in a point of language because I'm not an native English speaker (I'm Japanese :D ). I want anyone to indicate my wrong grammer or typo or confusing usage.

Imajica
Nucleus CMS 4.0 branch already has many improvements. For example,
- fully PHP5 support
- multibyte character handling
- locale subsystem with many translation files (30 area and country supported)
- step-by-step installer
- fully PHP Database Object (PDO) support
- based on SQL89 (trial for non-MySQL like SQLite is not yet)
- framework for internationalization of skins/templates and plugins
- Custamizeable admin area with skins/templates system
- E-mail notification with non-ISO-8859-1 characters
- support for image resampling

You can get the source at git remote repository.

As I mentioned, I stopped its developing and announcement of test. Before them we need to reorganize developing team. So the source is a lack of enough testing.

Frank,
I appreciate your arrangement for us but I think it's good time to discuss about hosting service on which we develop. Currently we're developing on sourceforge.net but I have a discontent with it because its bug tracking system is not user-friendly, its repository system is a bit slow to commit to and retrieve from. Before I mention to hosting on github. But github is a lack of mailing system.

Do you know there are any hosting service we base on? I want to use any communication tools below,
- better ticket management system
- better bug tracking system
- fast revision control system and remote repository
- mailing list with public archive and freely subscribe/unsubscribe
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Another bug-tracker I have used, this example is for WikkaWiki, a wiki script I had used years ago: WikkaWiki Tracker. Don't know much about the tracker from any point of view other than having submitted several bugs, but it worked fine for me. The tracker's project page is here: The Trac Project.
Mocchi

Postby Mocchi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks, WIllyP

I also utilize Trac for my work (internal LAN) and it's pretty good!

In my whole opinion, Trac need heavily server side arrangement. If I use Trac in remote host, I need to log in the host and manage it (with secure shell or something). But I want to avoid the work for managing server environment.

The reason I focus on hosting service is to reduce time to work for server environment. If I have a time to do it, I want to commit Nucleus CMS.

But what I imagine as communication tool is actually what is similar to Trac. I thought you read my idea 8O
Imajica

Postby Imajica » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:40 am

Mocchi:

I'll admit to not having any idea what to do with the github files

sorry
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi, Mocchi. I also want to tell you that your work has been very much appreciated. You've definitely carried the weight of development lately and I have fallen behind on my planned work, such as a tool to convert the nucleus tables to UTF-8. I've had it about 75% done for a while now, just need to finish up the last bit and post it for some alpha/beta testing. My job has kept me very busy.

I agree that the mailing list has been very quiet. I actually came here to the forum to see if there was new core development. I know you mentioned getting a public mailing list set up, which I think is a great idea. In the meantime, I think this forum could work well, too. It's public and archived, of course. It might have the added bonus of letting others know there really is development work being done on Nucleus. :)

Is the core now on Git instead of SVN? I'm just getting up to speed on Git, so it might take me a little longer to get used to it.

My current plans:
I'm working on finishing up the Convert Database to UTF-8 tool right after I post this message. I don't want to over-promise on this, but I hope to have it wrapped up within two weeks. I will post again in this forum with the scripts so people can start testing it out. Then, pending feedback and tweaks, we can hopefully get it solid and in the core code, so whenever the next full version of Nucleus is released, there will be a tool to convert the database to UTF-8.

Thanks again for all your work, Mocchi!
— gRegor
Mocchi

Postby Mocchi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:37 am

Imajica:
Imajica wrote:I'll admit to not having any idea what to do with the github files

The github is just a hosting service so you have nothing to do with its files. If we decide to utilize github, you just browse or download current sources from our repository and test it, post your patches to improve our source. Of cource, you install git utility in your working computer, the work becomes more efficient.

gRegor:
It's very nice that you still work with it. The current upstream is on our git repository in sourceforge.net. You should work with master branch for 4.0 release. I hope you to post your patch before commit it into upstream. The git URI is git://nucleuscms.git.sourceforge.net/gi ... nucleuscms
(I've also requested to close old SVN repository but it's not still done...)

And would you tell me your opinion for migrating into github instead of sourceforge.net?
Last edited by Mocchi on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mocchi

Postby Mocchi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 am

And I notice that many of you have a wrong opinion to me. All of the works for next release are not done only by me. Some Japanese developers have done.

Reine works for a new class to handling database. His work gives us the possibility to utilize the other database backends like SQlite. And he works for code-optimization for PHP5.

shizuki, previous manager for Japanese release, worked for skin/template system of Admin area.

Yotaka designed a new step-by-step installer with Reine. It becomes more friendly to users.

I mainly work for handling multibyte characters like UTF-8 and for a new subsystem for locale.

I hope you to remember their great works :wink:
blueGeorge

Postby blueGeorge » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Well, I think you all are doing a fine job. Thanks !
http://blue.cwahi.net/ Nessie of Marsport
http://jimswl.cwahi.net/ Short Wave Listening
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Agreed.

Many thanks to Frank, Reine, shizuki, Yotaka and Mocchi. And all the others who have contributed (plugins, tutorials, skins etc,) over the years.
Mocchi

Postby Mocchi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 am

Frank,

Could you assign full administrative right to my account of sourceforge.net?
matt_t_hat

Postby matt_t_hat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 pm

I want to say how much I appreciate all the work being done on NucleusCMS. If I can be of help...

Return to “Core Development”