NucleusCMS 4.0 or at least 3.7 ?

News and discussion about beta versions and CVS changes
yama

Postby yama » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:05 am

Thanks, gRegor.

I think that it is not an important thing to think about prototype(v4) handling.
As for the important thing, it is continued the NucleusCMS project.

http://sourceforge.net/p/nucleuscms/cod ... -3-6/tree/
https://github.com/slightlysome/lmnucle ... c2af97eed7
These are the completely same. Why did you not made as base as NucleusCMS 3.66 this?
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Yama,

You've seen the announcement posted on the front page of http://nucleuscms.org, correct? The project has been closed.

There were a handful of core developers, of which I was one. Work and life have taken all of us away from Nucleus. Rather than keep the project going and foster hope that "Nucleus 4.0 will come out some day!" we chose to shut it down.

No one has committed a line of code to SourceForge since 2012.

The 3.65 download won't even work on modern versions of PHP (PHP 5.4+).

While I am still around, I don't have enough time to contribute meaningfully to the core code and I certainly don't have enough time to take a leadership role (managing repos, testing, packaging new releases, support, etc.)

slightlysome took the 3.65 code, forked it, and made it compatible with PHP5.4+. This is not the same as the 3.6 branch you linked to.

I really think the best thing for those who want to keep developing Nucleus is to contribute to LMNucleus, since it has some momentum already. You are even among the people who have contributed to LMNucleus, so I'm not sure why you're trying to resurrect this code now.

Additionally, LMNucleus has a more open development process since it's on Github and not locked away in SourceForge where only approved developers can contribute. (I still don't even have admin access to SourceForge to redirect people from there.)

If you would rather start with code that's 2 years old to continue what was to be "Nucleus 4," then you're welcome to fork it and do so. I think my previous questions are worth considering before you do that, though.
— gRegor
slightlysome

Postby slightlysome » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm

yama.kyms wrote:These are the completely same. Why did you not made as base as NucleusCMS 3.66 this?

LMNucleus was developed in a separate git-repository because it originally was a fork, and not a replacement for Nucleus. It was also an easy way to document the changes I did.

Later have the Nucleus project been officially closed. And some people have expressed interest in contributing to LMNucleus (which I didn't expect to happen).

So i decided that if I should organize this I wanted to base the development on the LMNucleus 3.66 version and git repository. This was decided because the 4.0 code line on the original repository is in an unknown state. To be able to continue on this code line one have to check the complete code and find every change that has been done, and if the change is complete. I think that time is better spent on making changes to a code line that is in a known state. (The LMNucleus 3.66 code line).

I don't want to continue on a copy of the original Nucleus code repository (even if it's based on the 3.6 code line) because:
  • It is not a true git repository. It has been converted to git. Most branches don't have a common ancestor. The same change in different brances has separate commit ids.
  • The history is not needed in the LMNucleus code repository. The history of a file can be looked up in the original repository if needed.
  • I want the code repository to document the LMNucleus changes in regards to the original Nucleus. Having a separate code repository means that every commit in that repository is a LMNucleus change.

If someone wants to continue developing the Nucleus 4.0 code line (or any other code line from the original code repository) they are free to do so. And if they are serious about it I will not continue to develop LMNucleus, as I see no purpose in competing over this.

Short version: As long as I organize the development, it is organized as I see fit. If anyone else want take over organizing development they are free to organize it how they see fit. :)
- Leo -
LMNucleus CMS home page: nucleus.slightlysome.net
My Nucleus powered blogs: www.slightlysome.net - www.tswtraveler.com
My Nucleus plugins.
yama

Postby yama » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Thanks, gRegor.
gRegor wrote:slightlysome took the 3.65 code, forked it, and made it compatible with PHP5.4+. This is not the same as the 3.6 branch you linked to.

Please look well, These are the same. I checked diff all files.

http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 719#100719
http://sourceforge.net/p/nucleuscms/cod ... 2e13bc0bd/
http://sourceforge.net/p/nucleuscms/cod ... 75a0de68f/
I thank for great work by ftruscot. This comited to our repository. This is work on PHP5.4.

https://github.com/slightlysome/lmnucle ... c2af97eed7
This is same. But, LMNucleus base is 3.65. Probably, Leo does not know that there was a new commits in our repository.

gRegor wrote:Work and life have taken all of us away from Nucleus .

May I help you?

I think that it is not an important thing to think about Nucleus 4 handling.
I wanted everybody to know that there was the person who contributed for NucleusCMS.
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm

LMNucleus is not the same code as the development branch of Nucleus 3.66. Example: 1 and 2.

May I help you?

There is no Nucleus CMS project to help with.

You are welcome to fork any version of the Nucleus CMS code from Sourceforge, or contribute to LMNucleus if slightlysome decides to continue with it.
— gRegor
yama

Postby yama » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 pm

gRegor wrote:LMNucleus is not the same code as the development branch of Nucleus 3.66. Example: 1 and 2.

It understands it. But, it is not such a thing that I want to say.
ftruscot committed to 366 at SouceForge.
Mocchi committed to 400 at SouceForge.
You did not mind those contribution at all. You should explain the reason if you terminate a project without adopting it. Otherwise you only disappoint an able developer.

gRegor wrote:There is no Nucleus CMS project to help with.

It exists here still now. We can support it.
slightlysome

Postby slightlysome » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 am

yama.kyms wrote:I thank for great work by ftruscot. This comited to our repository. This is work on PHP5.4.

His work on this did not help many people as it never made it into an official release. It also was not complete, as several PHP5.4 related bugs was still in the code.

yama.kyms wrote:I wanted everybody to know that there was the person who contributed for NucleusCMS.

I have never tried to pass the changes in the referred commit in LMNucleus as done by me (as you seems to imply). If you see the commit comment on github, it refers to issue #1 which again point the same post on this forum as you do.

yama.kyms wrote:You did not mind those contribution at all.

LMNucleus a totally unofficial fork and not an official continuation of the Nucleus project. As it is my fork, I get to decide what I want to base my fork on. In my case I decided to base the fork on the 3.65 release version with the additions in the patch mentioned in this post. My reasons for choosing this has already been given in my previous post.

If you don't like where LMNucleus is going, you are free to make your own fork of Nucleus.
- Leo -

LMNucleus CMS home page: nucleus.slightlysome.net

My Nucleus powered blogs: www.slightlysome.net - www.tswtraveler.com

My Nucleus plugins.
yama

Postby yama » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks, Leo.

I do not demand the permission of the fork from you. Because NucleusCMS is open source software, anyone comes with a fork freely. It is not necessary to confirm it on this forum.
The need to close a project is not felt. It is it that I want to tell.
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:27 pm

Yes, it's open source, so the code will always live on. Nothing stops anyone from continuing development of the code. Nobody is trying to say you need permission to do that.

Without people to package official releases, support it on the forum, and otherwise maintain nucleuscms.org . . . there really is no public-facing "Nucleus CMS Project." There's just the source code.

It made no sense to leave nucleuscms.org giving the impression this is an actively-developed project, with a download of v3.65 — that does not even work on modern PHP installs. The lack of momentum with the project has been obvious. The graphics on the site still refer to v3.64, even though 3.65 is the last release.

That's why we made the choice to shut down the public-facing project. There's no intention of getting rid of the source code or preventing people doing what they want with it.

Nobody has obscured other people's work, either.

It looks like others in the Japanese community are interested in continuing core development, so maybe the public-facing project (as described above) could eventually be resurrected. See: http://github.com/nucleuscms/

I think we've said about all that can be said at this point. I understand you feel the project should not have been shut down. I won't be reviving it. Maybe someone else will. The best option to continue the project is to contribute code somewhere — anywhere.
— gRegor
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:39 am

Hope this will restart stable and sound: I putted an institutional scholastic site online using for the latest "stable" Nucleus version, and now we have a 200 error... Trying to recover this; hope you'll deliver us something better.
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:51 am

Hope this will restart stable and sound: I putted an institutional scholastic site online using for the latest "stable" Nucleus version, and now we have a very explicative "sorry an error occurred"... Trying to recover this; hope you'll deliver us something better.
yama

Postby yama » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 am

ok, Hiro. Please wait few days.
yama

Postby yama » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:56 am

mayankgates

Postby mayankgates » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 am

yama.kyms wrote:http://japan.nucleuscms.org/dev/hq/docs/history.html
Progress

Hi Yama,

Are you and Leo working together for the next release of Nucleus? In case of No, what should I do. Should I upgrade to LMNucleus or wait for the 4.0 version by you? Currently I am using Nucleus 3.65.01
yama

Postby yama » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks, mayankgates.

My fork and LMNucleus are 100% compatible. I have the respect for LMNucleus.
Leo establishes a project and distance, but the his judgment is right.
Because nucleuscms.org project is not trusted. Me too. Delayed period was too long.
I do not know the late cause.

I maintain this package with the goal of the continuation of the nucleuscms.org project.

I intend to release 4.0, but continue maintenance of 3.x with precedence.
As for 4.0, PDO is required. More than PHP5.1 are necessary.
LordMatt

Postby LordMatt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 pm

It would be good to get a consensus, pull in all the work being done to one place and get those that want to work on the code doing so.

I am flexible, I just want NucleusCMS to continue in some shape or other.

Return to “Core Development”