NucleusCMS 4.0 or at least 3.7 ?

News and discussion about beta versions and CVS changes
matt_t_hat

NucleusCMS 4.0 or at least 3.7 ?

Postby matt_t_hat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 am

What are the communities plans regarding moving forward with the system. Now PHP4 is depreciated I would suggest that we should have (and probably have) put forward suggestions to take advantage of PHP5 features. At least to 5.2 with a view towards 5.3 (The main difference being Late Static Bindings).

After all 5.4 is out and has a whole bunch of new features.

For example can I put it to you that the use of interfaces would be sound, that constructors and destructors could prove handy and that we could take this time to look at new features we want to add and old ones we wish to remove.

Not to be talk and no action I'm willing to put in some hard work in on this if (a) that really would be appreciated and (b) others are willing to too.
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 pm

There is a move afoot to put together a 4.0 which will fully deprecate PHP4 and start using some PHP5 features. It is also reworking it to be multi-byte so that we can have a single release between the main version and the Japanese version. I have not been very active in this due to some personal issues. It is mostly being done by the Japanese community, lead by mocchi and on our end by gRegor and kg. It is evidently close to being ready for some pre-alpha testing.

Help is always appreciated.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
matt_t_hat

Postby matt_t_hat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 am

Awesome news. What's the best way to help?
Imajica

Postby Imajica » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 am

count me in for whatever testing you need... If it's breakable I can make that happen
flashRU

Postby flashRU » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm

How long to wait for the new version?
TCC

Willing to test

Postby TCC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

If testing is needed, I will help. I have a test server I would install a new version on. I could also do a test upgrade there. And could put up a new version Nucleus site on a production test domain.
matt_t_hat

Postby matt_t_hat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Let me roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty with some code - make use of me while I am available. I'm interviewing like made for PHP Developer Jobs and most of them have big commutes. I am, however, available right now.
LordMatt

Postby LordMatt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 am

As per my Feburary comment let me help with the code if help is needed. I want to do something if I can.
Utomo

Postby Utomo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:46 am

Nucleus Core v3.65 (March 31, 2013)

I hope version 4 will come soon. Otherwise people think this is abandoned project.

I hope it has advertising module.
So we can earn / share some money, including with contributor.

Just my2c
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm

There has been a fork, named LMNucleus, which makes the core code function properly with PHP 5.4.

See: http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21280

See also, "Future of Nucleus" discussion: http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21234 (particularly my comments on page 2)

The LMNucleus project is on GitHub, too: https://github.com/slightlysome/lmnucleuscms
— gRegor
LordMatt

Postby LordMatt » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Fantastic.

I am really pleased.

Count me in on putting in some hard coding time on this.
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Please see the announcement on the nucleuscms.org home page about the sunset of Nucleus CMS.

There is also a separate thread I just posted with the announcement: http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21315
— gRegor
yama

Postby yama » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:58 am

Hello, everyone.

http://sourceforge.net/p/nucleuscms/cod ... er/tarball
Version 4 beta is here. This is unknown official package.

http://sourceforge.net/p/nucleuscms/cod ... e0a13/log/
Change log
slightlysome

Postby slightlysome » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 pm

yama.kyms wrote:Version 4 beta is here. This is unknown official package.

What are the plans for getting from beta to a version 4 release?
- Leo -
LMNucleus CMS home page: nucleus.slightlysome.net
My Nucleus powered blogs: www.slightlysome.net - www.tswtraveler.com
My Nucleus plugins.
Imajica

Postby Imajica » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 am

the last commit was 09/17/2012
yama

Postby yama » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:17 am

Imajica wrote:the last commit was 09/17/2012

Those almost never change, current v3.65 and begin of v4 beta. It's about 4 new commits.
NucleusCMS has not been progressing for several years.
However, this beta release progressed.

What are the plans for getting from beta to a version 4 release?

Thanks, Leo. Personally, I want to release it by October.
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:31 pm

"Beta" seems like a misleading term here. This is just a download link for the latest state of Nucleus development, which as pointed out was in 2012. That's more like "Alpha" and outdated, at that.

Since Nucleus is sunset, and this forum will eventually be set to read-only and archived, I'd like to know your plans for this release.

Will you be renaming the fork?
Will the development be taking place on a Github repo?
Will you be providing a support site for it?

Leo announced he's putting LMNucleus development on hold in response to this. I'm surprised to hear talk of another fork already, when LMNucleus is just getting started, and is in a better state than the Nucleus 4 development branch. It's open source, of course, so you're welcome to fork. I just wonder why not focus development on LMNucleus.
— gRegor
yama

Postby yama » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for reply, gRegor.

http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21060
I discovered this topic. What happened to it after that?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Nothing really happened after that. Frank has left the community and has stated it's very unlikely he would ever return, though he didn't go so far as to say never.

I don't recall Mocchi ever posting anything after his last post in that thread... checking his profile confirms that to be true.
gRegor

Postby gRegor » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:47 pm

I was in communication with Frank and Wouter while trying to determine whether to shut down the Nucleus project. Frank has work commitments that take up a lot more of his time and he's (understandably) chosen to spend his little free time with his family instead of Nucleus. I think it's safe to say he will not be returning to Nucleus.

I have not heard from Mocchi in quite some time. He was one of the most active on the mailing list and his idea for an open mailing list to encourage development was a good idea. That open list was set up, but then saw no communication.

I sent this message to both mailing lists. Wouter and Kai responded (on the older, developer-only list; they're probably not even aware of the new, public list) and Mocchi never responded. Wouter basically said other than hosting the site, he's not really involved in Nucleus. Kai said we should try to attract more developers and was interested in refactoring some code. That's basically it.

I couldn't lead this project myself, the public code available for download was already falling behind (broken on PHP 5.4), and slightlysome had already made a fork with good updates. It seemed shutting down the official project was the best idea, unfortunately.
— gRegor

Return to “Core Development”