ADMIN.php

News and discussion about beta versions and CVS changes
matt_t_hat

ADMIN.php

Postby matt_t_hat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

It seems to me that some SQL is taking place in the wrong place. Yes, sure it works but it is likely to make more work to maintain and lead to duplication.

Case in point

ADMIN::action_categorynew()

Uses SQL to check if category name already exists. Surely if this is a need BLOG::CheckCatExists($name) is therefore a needed function?

There is quite a bit in ADMIN that would have been more useful as internal API somewhere else with ADMIN just adding a UI on to it.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:12 pm

probably not wrong. Admin has grown to be a bit unwieldy and there are probably more cases of duplication and ineffeciency. There was a side project going on to rework the whole thing, but it's died out and there has not been interest from anyone in the current dev team that has wanted to take on the beast.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
matt_t_hat

Postby matt_t_hat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 pm

ftruscot wrote:probably not wrong. Admin has grown to be a bit unwieldy and there are probably more cases of duplication and ineffeciency. There was a side project going on to rework the whole thing, but it's died out and there has not been interest from anyone in the current dev team that has wanted to take on the beast.

That's understandable. It's epic.

Hopefully the work I've been doing (like overloading MANAGER) and such might help make some contributions towards this sometime. If it irritates me enough I might even offer some changes myself I tend to get distracted like that sometimes.

Return to “Core Development”