Nucleus CMS 3.60 RC1 released

News and discussion about beta versions and CVS changes
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Nucleus CMS 3.60 RC1 released

Postby ftruscot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

We are pleased to announce that Nucleus CMS 3.60 Release Candidate 1 has been made available to the public for testing in preparation for the upcoming 3.60 release later this month.

This version, though stable, is not recommended for production. Please feel free to try it on test sites and give your feedback here.

Download files are available athttp://sourceforge.net/projects/nucleuscms/files/

What's New?
Here is a summary of the bigger changes in the 3.60 RC1:

* Permit <%if%> family of variables in item templates, comment templates, and item body fields, with some restrictions and template-specific additions.
* Bug fix to cleanup file upload names to restrict characters that cause problems in certain server configurations (like spaces and punctuation).
* Bug fixes to NP_Ping and NP_SecurityEnforcer (included plugins)
* Bug fix to member editing error when not setting password
* Work to allow display of future items when wanted, i.e. in plugin to view events on future dates (see soon to be released NP_EventBlog version 2 as an example)
* Add PostParseURL event to globalfunctions.php. Triggered right after ParseURL and can be used to tweak global variables before selector() based on info in URL and maybe give custom http response codes, etc...
* Permit categorylist in all skin parts if blogname parameter is set.
* Add global variable ($currentitemid) during item processing to make it easy to get item-related info into phpinclude code included in item template
* Add global variables $currentcomentid and $currentcommentarray during item template processing so can get comment info in phpinclude called from comment template.

Apart from the little bug fixes, the most noticable feature is the extension of the if-else-... variables into the item and comment templates. Most the other stuff will be noticed by plugin developers, or php programmers, wishing to extend nucleus.

To install it, download the nucleus3.60RC1.zip file and follow the normal installation instructions found here: http://nucleuscms.org/documentation/index.html#installation

The upgrade path is the normal one (see below). As always, backup your database and important files before attempting to upgrade to this version.

1. download the upgrade3.60RC1-scripts.zip file and unzip it on your local machine. Then upload the upgrades/ folder and its contents to the nucleus/ folder at the site.

2. Run the upgrade scripts by pointing your browser to yoursite.tld/nucleus/upgrades/ and clicking the link to update the database.

3. Remove the upgrades folder from your server.

4. Download and unzip the upgrade3.60RC1-files.zip file, then upload the files and folders into the root of your nucleus install (where config.php is located) and let it overwrite all the files. Your config.php and skins/ folders are safe.

5. You're done. Now use it as normal and report any concerns here in this thread.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
z3rg

Postby z3rg » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:39 am

Cool! I'm glad Nucleus is not dying. Will upgrade my blog when I have time.

Thanks guys.
Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:08 pm

What is the health of Nucleus?

I guess it is hard to keep releasing like crazy when the purpose of the project is light weightiness. Perhaps working on built in SEO tools is a good place to look at.

I for one would not bother with the competition. I've looked into them and see no benefit over nucleus which is not skin deep.
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:04 pm

We're moving along. It's a mature product with a light-weight philosophy, so we aren't making too many large core changes. Mostly fixing little bugs, adding enhancement to existing features and expanding the Plugin API. Really most new features should come in the way of plugin development from the community.
Is your question not solved yet?

Search our FAQ,

read the Documentation, or

browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
matt_t_hat

Postby matt_t_hat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:25 pm

You guys rock!

I'd just shown up to try and talk you into removing a really stupid flaw (IMHO) from the logic of the way Nu handles Cat/Blog/Item ID. Specifically that I can specify in URL an itemid and a blogid from another blog and a catid unrelated to both and get output rendered in the theme of the blog in question.

IMHO information should be at three levels. blogid or catid which is a refinement or itemid which is a further refinement - in theory we should not need to trust user input to know what the blog or cat ids are. With the post URL parse event coming up it should be possible to undo this very poor (IMHO) behaviour with a simple plugin. It would be better, of course, to remove it at core but this at least will fix my duplicate content SEO issues and allow some advanced SEO plugins to do some good work.

Return to “Core Development”