Mail authentication for php restricted hosting services

Found something that doesn't work as expected? Encountered PHP errors? Submit your bug reports here!
joea99

Mail authentication for php restricted hosting services

Postby joea99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 pm

My current hosting provider does not allow php scripts to send mail. They do this for security reasons. Whatever.

So, I need to change providers, migrate away from nucleus, or . . . hack nucleus to incorporate the template they provided to authenticate to their mail server.

Or, better, some one who knows, right off hand, where to, how to, could do it and have my eternal gratitude. Well, eternal *might* be an overstatement.

Or, last resort, someone(s) could get me started, that is, where the code is that sends mail. I've got no clue, despite making some tepid attempts to find out on my own.
joea99

Postby joea99 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 pm

The need to send mail should be obvious, but includes, forgotten admin password, notification of comments, etc.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:00 am

For reference, here is the thread in which joea99 brought up the issue, and posted a sample script provided by his host: Nucleus Support :: View topic - comments not sending email

What you are asking would require a major rewrite of a number of functions in Nucleus, and very few hosts have such a restrictive policy. I don't know of any host that prohibits php scripts from sending mail from a paid hosting account, it is a very basic function of php to send mail. I'm not sure that any blog software would accommodate such a policy. And there's no security benefit to this policy, as they are giving you a script to essential circumvent the restriction.

And if someone hacks your Nucleus install, it would likely have to be done again, every time you upgrade to the latest Nucleus version. The eternal gratitude thing would wear a bit thin, methinks.

Personally, I would have switched providers already.
joea99

Postby joea99 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:33 am

Switching is on my mind.

If I may, I'd like to solicit comments on the providers folks here use.

joe a.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I use Bravehost. No complaints.

Edit: I see Bravehost is now offering a 'starter' package the does not include mail, database, or even php, so obviously you wouldn't want that.

Return to “Bug Reports & Feature Requests”