Bipolar skin help

What you think other Nucleus users should know!
Anthony ODoibhailein

Bipolar skin help

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Having scoured the skins catalogue the one that best fits my needs is Bipolar.
I would however like to change some aspects of it such as the colours and proportions of the pages.
I like the way that the navigation links are static whilst the entries in the blog scroll past the navigation links.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or insight as to how to change the colour scheme as I cannot find it in the CSS file.
Also wanted to check if Bipolar is good to go for using the plugins?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Anthony
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm

looks like a lot of the colors, etc and controlled by the image files used in the css. So to change some (or many) of the colors, you may need to modify the corresponding image files used by the css file.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:28 pm

I like Bipolar, but as Frank said, changing colors means changing the images used. I made a version of bipolar for a site I have, and ended up pretty much rewriting the whole thing: Reactor

Generally skins don't have, or need, support for any plugins, you just add a tag where you want the plugins output to appear. Then just tweak the html/ css as needed.
Anthony ODoibhailein

Reactor

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I like the look of Reactor, though for the purposes of the project I am working on the colour schemes are not what I need.
Is there a big difference between the way you have put Reactor together in comparison to Bipolar?

Thanks again
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:50 am

Reactor is not dependent on images for color and layout. In fact the only image is the picture of the reactor, which could be removed or changed with very little effect on the theme. Find a picture you like to replace it, and choose some colors that go well with the image.

The menu, as you can see, is completely different too. It's a rather complicated affair, dependent on Frank's Ordered plugin. The menu changes considerably when you login. And it is different for different members. And tbh, a little too complex for the few users who did contribute.

If you want to customize Bipolar, you could simply remove the images and not use any. Then the other changes are in the CSS, and if you have specific questions, I would be happy to help.
Anthony ODoibhailein

Modifying Bipolar

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for your response.

The main thing I want to be able to do is add images into the entries and for them to be visible when the archive is viewed.
I shall revisit the setup and see if I can tweak the colours and proportions to suit. I've not done a lot with nucleus in terms of modifying or adding plugins but what I have seen of it and what I have used I like and hope to make more use of it.

Hear from you when you can.
All the best for now

Anthony
Anthony ODoibhailein

Bipolar update

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Just to let you know that I have managed to resize and tune Bipolar to suit my needs.

My one issue for now is that I would like for images to be visible in the actual postings at a reasonable size on the blog without the need to click on anything. Then when the image is clicked the image is shown in a floated box.
It doesn't seem much but I was wondering how I acheive this.

Also how would I go about setting up a preview of the blog headings in a box on another page?

For another project I was looking to try to strip bipolar down so that there would only be an image per entry with a date and a sub heading and a link for comments.

Is there another skin which offers more of an image an entry format which is quite uncluttered and easy to modify? I've done some digging but can't quite see what I'm looking for so I was wondering if anyone else has modified an existing skin to do such a thing as this?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:36 pm

I think what you want is a light-box plugin. There are a number of them available, offering different styles and features.

Look for the plugins with 'box' in the name here: Tuna Truc - NucleusCMS Plugin Downloads.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:41 pm

For the other part, my skin skins.nucleuscms.org: NucMag has a section for photo-bloging, see an example in use here: Suncook Carpentry, take a look at the 'Featured' section.

Is this what you had in mind?
Anthony ODoibhailein

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello Willy,

many thanks for taking the time to respond.

I like the Featured section at the NucMag. I may have use of it elsewhere.

I like the way that Bipolar separates out the navigation buttons from the blog entries so that the navigation elements are always visible.

I've been looking at things a bit today and have a work in progress here:
http://www.saintfrancispipeband.com/nuc ... /index.php

I want to be able to to set the size of the pictures entered so that they will all be of uniform size. I know I could and maybe should resize them to the preferred size before uploading them but I was wondering if it is possible to specify a max size for images?
I was wondering where I can align the 'Category', Posted By', 'Add Comment', and 'Edit item' so that they run along the bottom of the images and are aligned horizontally rather than as they are in a vertical manner?

This needs tweaking but give you an idea as to where I am heading I hope!

Let me know your thoughts?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 am

A light-box plug-in will re-size images on the fly. And you can spec max width, height, or both.

Right now you have 2 vertical scroll bars, and a horizontal scroll bar on an inner element. I would fix that first before trying to change the layout of the other elements you mentioned.
Anthony ODoibhailein

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks for your input.

Not sure exactly how to get rid of these scroll bars at all. Is it a matter of constraining the size of the images?
Let me know how I go about doing this. Forgive me if it is very obvious. I am learning all the time. Standard installs are not such a bother but just when I am trying to achieve a specific custom look and function then things can beginning to be a bit more challenging.

Thanks again.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Reducing the image size should remove the horizontal scroll bar. The solution to the second vertical scroll bar is not obvious, but have to do with the structure of the HTML used.

When dealing with things like this I usually find it's easier to start with a clean slate, rather than try to deal with something someone else did.

If you want to reduce the size of the images, I recommend: XnView Software - Free graphic and photo viewer, converter, organizer
Anthony ODoibhailein

Bipolar progress -NP_Calendar the final hurdle

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I've set up a blog here:

http://www.adevlinvisual.com/nucleus3.64/index.php

The NP_Calendar plugin is now visible but the format is not correct.
I have the same plugin installed in another skin which works well here:

http://www.thegorbals.co.uk/thegorbalsupdate.html

I'm trying to find how I can get the calendar to format correctly.

I'm sure its something quite straightforward but I can't seem to track it down.

Any ideas at all?
Anthony ODoibhailein

Problem solved!

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:09 pm

Just to say that after a refreshing lunch I have rsolved the issue!

I'd in error copied in a <a class="nav" href= before the calendar!
Silly me.

Learning all the time.

Thanks if you read this!
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Looks fabulous!
Anthony ODoibhailein

idea to try to acheive- gallery of all photblog entries

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks Willy. I guess I'm almost there with what I was aiming for. Its been a real learning process which is great. Thanks for your support.

Just wondering if there is a way to put a link in the navigation panel which would create a gallery of thumbnails of all the entries in the blog? I guess this may be a fairly significant piece to work out?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

I use Single File PHP Gallery. Just drop one file into a folder of pics and your done. Here's an example: WillyP's Gallery

You can get it here: Single File PHP Gallery 4.1.1
Anthony ODoibhailein

gallery option

Postby Anthony ODoibhailein » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello Willie,

Thanks for this. Looks like a possibility.
I installed the script but all I'm seeing is the php code when I call it from the browser.
Do I need to install anything else in the folder with the images or elsewhere?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Perhaps the hta file is preventing it from executing php? Or folder permissions?

Return to “Share Your Tips & Tricks”