Nucleus CMS comment moderation and spam handling

If you're having questions about some aspect of Nucleus, use this forum.
slightlysome

Nucleus CMS comment moderation and spam handling

Postby slightlysome » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:13 pm

The combination of the LMCommentModerator, LMStopForumSpam and LMSpamBotBehavior plugins provides a full suite for handling comments on your Nucleus blog. These plugins should cover your needs in comment moderation and comment spam fighting.

With these plugins installed can you keep commenting open for all, and still have full control over which comments that get posted to the blog. When a comment is added will only the comment author see the comment if it is categorized as spam or if it is in the moderation queue. Non member comment authors can also edit their own comments for 1 hour after it was added. For recurring genuine comment authors can whitelists be set up.

Spam handling

The spam checks implemented by the spam check plugins has so far proved quite efficient. During testing have the combination of the two spam check plugins been 100% correct in spam classifications on over 5000 comments.

The LMCommentModerator plugin can be set up to automatically purge spam comments, so blogs can run unattended without the need to act on the spam comments.

Hopefully will not the spammers discover what the LMSpamBotBehavior plugins does and implement countermeasures in their bots. You may get some some spam comments in your moderation queue if they ever do, but unless you whitelist them will they never be able to get any comments published.

Requirements for using these plugins

So, is it a walk in the park to get to the comment handling heaven? Unfortunately no.

The LMCommentModerator plugin require some setup before it can be used. A step by step guide on how to set up your Nucleus installation to use the LMCommentModerator plugin for comment moderation can be found here.

The use of the skin and template variables from the LMReplacementVars plugin for displaying items and comments is required for the LMCommentModerator plugin to work. If you have other plugins that show items or comments in any form on your blog and where the plugin don't support the LMReplacementVars plugin will you probably see comments that should be hidden. In these circumstances must you upgrade the problem plugin or change to a similar plugin that supports LMReplacementVars.

If you find that your other plugins are not compatible with LMCommentModerator let me know and I will try to help you find a solution.
- Leo -
LMNucleus CMS home page: nucleus.slightlysome.net
My Nucleus powered blogs: www.slightlysome.net - www.tswtraveler.com
My Nucleus plugins.

Return to “General Questions”