Nucleus 3.7 How to set individual meta-descriptions per post

If you're having questions about some aspect of Nucleus, use this forum.
being_new

Postby being_new » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,
Being new to Nucleus and somehow just getting started with using it, I'm wondering how I could improve my search-engine ranking, specifically by adding "description"-Meta tags per page (i.e. post, see bleow) and probably even "structured data" tags. Can anyone please give me a hint howe I could realize that?
With "meta tags per Post" and "structured data" I mean meta data appended to the header of the full post page (that is the page shown after clicking "read more"). Currently I don't see means to add meaningsful data to the index-page (i.e. the homepage of the blog showing the short versions of all posts), but maybe there is and someone would be hinting me on how I could improve the ranking wioth each new post added?
Kindly,
Helmut
dis

Postby dis » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04 pm

The general meta tag info can be found in the head.inc skin file in a default installation, I think.

For the per-post individual item pages, I don't really know how to code php or anything so this is just an idea off the top of my head:

Maybe you can put in some sort of if/then include code in the head of item skin file. You would have to either make the item skin use a different head.inc from the other skin files, or modify head.inc to have a separate section for the item skin.

Link the include code to a separate php file. The included php file could have more detailed code to reference meta tags that are specific to the item in question. That part is too complicated for me to guess how to do it but maybe you can pull keywords from an item. (Maybe even combine it with NP Keyword or NP Technorati Tags or something to get the variables you need?)
being_new

Postby being_new » Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 am

Hello,
along my original question (post) here (above) I found a peculiar option in Admin-Section > Edit item page, named "Extra plugin options" showing a blank "field" (no entries-field) - I turely wonder if this option wouldn't be what I am seeking ...
Does anyone know a Plugin which, when installed and activated, turns out one or more entry-fields for additional data? Such one could probably be modified to do the job for me.
Checking the various available plugins I unfortunately couldn't find from their description any that would do that. So I guess one needs to know how a given plugin works (or what it does) to determine if it fits.
To clearify what I'm seeking: For each individal article (item) I want to add a field <meta name="description" content="..."> tag in the item page's header section. (Thus this implies that the plugin or function adds a new field to the item-table in the MySQL DB, or adds a new table for all additional fields.)
Regarding the homepage I found a workaround and consider the problem solved - which leaves me with the problem for individual posts/items.
Sincere thanks in advance for any hint I will be getting!
Helmut
dis

Postby dis » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Hmm, off the top of my head I can only think of two plugins which add extra fields - NP Keyword and NP Technorati Tags which I mentioned in my post above. There are probably a few others but these are the only two I've used myself and am a bit familiar with.

They don't change the meta tags though, they just add tags or extra links to the posts or page templates. (But maybe you can try putting the code for the plugin into the meta header tag? I never tried that before but it might work... :))
dis

Postby dis » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Oh yes, just checked. NP Keywords does work with meta tags - it's your lucky day! :) See plugin info page here for usage: http://nucleuscms.org/wiki/doku.php/keywords I never used it in the headers before, only in the body, so I didn't know :) I think you can get the latest version on the Github. The wiki version might be old.

Also I think there is an NP_CustomField but I don't know whether that one works with meta tags. You can search for "CustomField" in the forum - the code is available in the forum, not on the wiki, I think.
dis

Postby dis » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm

One more! http://nucleuscms.org/wiki/doku.php/meta_description LOL :) I don't know if this plugin is dynamic or if it only sets the same words everywhere, i have never tried it before. If it works for you let us know! :)

Edit: And another, which sounds like it might be exactly what you wanted - http://nucleuscms.org/wiki/doku.php/meta_tags :P
being_new

Postby being_new » Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 am

Wow, dis - you are the greates!
Got me plenty to check and test, thank you very much! I will certainly report the outcome here - though it may take a few days ... I'm on a tight schedule with other topics right now.
Have a great day! Kindly, Helmut
being_new

Postby being_new » Wed May 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello Dis!
So I happend to check out the various options ... with little success: http://nucleuscms.org/wiki/doku.php/meta_description does the trick, though I had to adjust for some time. Thus I now have a list of keywords and a meta description per item - which is great.
NP_MetaTags.php seems to be much better, as it seems to offer a broader variety, but ... the adminpage is all in japanese only, so unreadable to me. :(
I wonder: Is there something like a rule or "know-how" which would make it easy to find the proper spot (i.e. where to add a variable or "placeholder" (in the form of <%nameorcontent%>) in which file)?
I tried several other plugins for various purposes generally with no success. I suppose that each of them requires some addition in a skin- oder a template file, but that isn't mentioned.
From my checking out I now figure that my original problem with URLParts.php (didn't get a response till now for viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21562) requires some such addition. Could that be the case? It's unfortunate that I can't create URLs in the form of "myblog.com/title-of-item-page.php" ... becauise LMFancierUrls required URLParts :(
Would be grateful for any tip you could provide (you've been sooo productive for me before!) ;))
Kindly, Helmut
dis

Postby dis » Thu May 11, 2017 1:36 am

LOL sorry I have never tried these plugins before so I am afraid I may not be of much help! That is a pity about the Japanese!

Looking at the Japanese Metatags page it appears that a Japanese Yahoo ID may be needed for it to work? The English page for the plugin says http://nucleuscms.org/wiki/doku.php/meta_tags

Code: Select all

"place <%MetaTags%> into the <head> portion of your skins"
. The Japanese page provides 3 other codes :

<%MetaTags(robots)%> , <%MetaTags(description)%> and <%MetaTags(keywords)%>
So it looks like you can use any of those four codes in the HEAD section of your SKIN files.

I am guessing the admin page probably gives you the fields for the robots, description, and keywords tags. Does the plugin have a language option that you can change to DE or EN? Or maybe try Google Translate? I did that with the Japanese Multiple Categories plugin - it is not very clear but just enough to guess roughly where to put the codes. If that doesn't work, I suggest filling in the Admin Fields with test keywords like FIRST SECOND THIRD etc, then you can VIEW SOURCE on your output page to see which field corresponds to which code tag :)

I also noticed another plugin called MetaEx here http://japan.nucleuscms.org/wiki/plugins:metaex which you could try if you have not already done so. The instructions for that one seem fairly clear and they even give you a sample code for your head.inc file which you could try.

Re. your URL parts question, I see that Leo just answered you today on the thread you linked to - just a few hours after you posted here! :) - so you might want to check out his answer and see if it helps - good luck! :)
being_new

Postby being_new » Thu May 11, 2017 8:17 am

Wow, Dis - as is typical for you: Great help and useful hints! Thanks a lot!
I will procedd as you suggested and lastly report the outcome here. Wishing you a great day!
Kindly, Helmut
dis

Postby dis » Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you very much Yama! You are most welcome Helmut, good luck with your experiments! :)
being_new

Postby being_new » Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks to both of you, Yama and Dis!
I managed to translate the Japanese script into my languge (I can also do so for english, if required); it turned out that the "admin page" is a feedback form, which I used to report my results (an error message). After seeing Yama's "fixed!" above, I fetched the new release and installed it ... it results in another error message (which I reported via feedback form).
So far, I used the <%MetaTags%> and only got a "robots"-meta tag inserted. After experimenting a bit I also got a "description"- meta tag, but still no keywords-meta tag inserted to the item page.
(However, the data I enter in the description field (on item admin page) is being retained, while the data in the keywords-field is lost. I.e. after saving the page and later reloading it as admin it only shows the data in the description field, while keywords remain blank.
Hopefully I will get a fix for this ...
Gratefully, Helmut
yama

Postby yama » Tue May 16, 2017 4:07 pm

ok, I'll fix it later.
being_new

Postby being_new » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am

Thank you very much, Yama! Looking forward to it being fixed! Please let me knwo when it's done.
Kindly,
Helmut
yama

Postby yama » Thu May 18, 2017 6:21 am

Could you try this?
Attachments
NP_MetaTags-master.zip
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
being_new

Postby being_new » Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks a lot, Yama!
I installed the fixed version (sdated May 15 and May 18), tested it and found:
The skript does cretae three additional fields in the admin-page: Robots, description and keyword.
Setting a value for robots and entering data to description and keywords, results in displaying the robots meta-tag and the description meta-tag in the source code, but not the keywords. It does' appearantly not retain the keywords data. After reloading the admin page, the keywords are lost (not shown).
If there should be a new table in the DB, I cannot find one inspecting it by PHPMyAdmin.
Sincerely,
Helmut
yama

Postby yama » Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 am

I can not understand the cause. Could you please tell me more information such as the URL of the site?
being_new

Postby being_new » Mon May 22, 2017 9:23 am

Thank you, Yama, very much!
The URL of my site is http://lernkunde.lernkultur.com/; the verify the inserted metas, please pull up http://lernkunde.lernkultur.com/item/1#more - it's so far the only one where I inserted the appropriate data. (I added

<!--- NP_MetaTags 22.5.17 HWK -->
<%MetaTags%>
to the head.inc of the skin and then edited the item, filling in the keywords and desciription vaulues. The result you can see in the sourcecode.)
Kindly,
Helmut

Return to “General Questions”