How to make the contest even more attractive

Everything about the Nucleus Skin Contest. Ask your questions, plug your design, and more...
cyblot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

How to make the contest even more attractive

Postby cyblot » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Another thread (http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9569) mentioned something about maybe $140 not being enough of an incentive for people, so I read up on the contest info again.

I'm not sure rules 10 and 11 don't make it too appealing, since people would probably like it better if one skin could win two or more prizes. But I can see why these rules are put in place. But anyway, how to make this contest even more interesting ...

1. I notice the contest structure page doesn't take into account the $250 offered by our first sponsors, so maybe we can use that to play with. Up the prize money for best overall design and users' choice, or see 2.

2. Introduce 'runner up' prizes. Skins that come in second in a category are rewarded as well. With the $250, we can introduce (for the five categories) 2nd place prizes of 90-40-40-40-30-10. Perhaps adjust rule 11 so a design may not be the winning (1st place) entry for two categories, but may take 2nd place.

3. Is there a minimum amount one can donate to the contest through PayPal? I can imagine that some community members might wish to contribute $5/$10 so a bunch of contributions would turn into a nice addition to the prize pool, but if there's only one contributor, it's probably rather pointless.

4. I didn't see anything about a prize button. I think it would be good to offer a "Nucleus skin design contest winner of category [category]" button for each category, so winners can display this on their site.

A small off-topic note: the about page (http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/about.php) has a tiny problem display problem with 'contest rules and regulations, it is displayed below the bullet, in Firefox. Nothing major, but since we're going to judge the layout of contestants ... :wink:
Blots of Info
http://www.golb.org
cyblot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Re: How to make the contest even more attractive

Postby cyblot » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:52 pm

Forgot a number 5. Maybe we need to up the money for 'static design'. This is the category that may attract new people who have never heard of Nucleus before. That is a much larger pool than Nucleus skin designers, but the prize money is only 50%. Perhaps making it $100 or something makes it more interesting to people who can design well, but don't want to learn the Nucleus ins and outs for this contest. Perhaps there would be entries then, that can be ported later, which would be beneficial in the end.
Blots of Info

Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:14 pm

cyblot wrote:1. I notice the contest structure page doesn't take into account the $250 offered by our first sponsors, so maybe we can use that to play with. Up the prize money for best overall design and users' choice, or see 2.

2. Introduce 'runner up' prizes. Skins that come in second in a category are rewarded as well. With the $250, we can introduce (for the five categories) 2nd place prizes of 90-40-40-40-30-10. Perhaps adjust rule 11 so a design may not be the winning (1st place) entry for two categories, but may take 2nd place.

Yes, I was going to post something about this in the thread discussing categories and prizes today when I found out about the sponsorship but it slipped my mind. :oops: Totally agree on these 2 points. I will contact Nicolas and ask him if he is happy to split up his book prize.

cyblot wrote:3. Is there a minimum amount one can donate to the contest through PayPal? I can imagine that some community members might wish to contribute $5/$10 so a bunch of contributions would turn into a nice addition to the prize pool, but if there's only one contributor, it's probably rather pointless.

There is no minimum - I can't imagine why we would want to specify a minimum as that would limit the amount of donations we get. I'll add something on the page to that effect though, just so people who want to donate little amounts won't feel bad about doing so.

cyblot wrote:4. I didn't see anything about a prize button. I think it would be good to offer a "Nucleus skin design contest winner of category [category]" button for each category, so winners can display this on their site.

I wonder how I managed to overlook that. I'll put something in the about page concerning that, and make some draft prize buttons tomorrow.

cyblot wrote:A small off-topic note: the about page (http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/about.php) has a tiny problem display problem with 'contest rules and regulations, it is displayed below the bullet, in Firefox. Nothing major, but since we're going to judge the layout of contestants ... :wink:

*boggle* I can't see this in my Firefox, I'm using 1.5RC3. If it's about the line wrapping, it's just due to the long link name. I can try and make it a shorter name so it doesn't wrap tomorrow.

cyblot wrote:Forgot a number 5. Maybe we need to up the money for 'static design'. This is the category that may attract new people who have never heard of Nucleus before. That is a much larger pool than Nucleus skin designers, but the prize money is only 50%. Perhaps making it $100 or something makes it more interesting to people who can design well, but don't want to learn the Nucleus ins and outs for this contest. Perhaps there would be entries then, that can be ported later, which would be beneficial in the end.

You know, I believe we were so keen on trying to give everyone incentives to learn about the Nucleus skinning system, that we completely overlooked the fact that the small prizes in the static design category might not be enough incentive to encourage people to enter; and that our "big" prizes aren't sufficiently big to prod people into learning the Nucleus skinning system. I'll do some readjustments tomorrow.
deborahlau.com | To-Do List
Questions? See the FAQ, read the docs, or browse our plugins!!
cyblot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby cyblot » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:34 pm

Leng wrote:*boggle* I can't see this in my Firefox, I'm using 1.5RC3. If it's about the line wrapping, it's just due to the long link name. I can try and make it a shorter name so it doesn't wrap tomorrow.

I'm using 1.0.7 and for some weird reason, the source tells me:

Code: Select all

<li></li></a><a href="http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/index.php?itemid=72" title="Contest Rules and Regulations">Contest Rules and Regulations</a>

While IE's source tells me:

Code: Select all

<li><a href="http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/index.php?itemid=72" title="Contest Rules and Regulations">Contest Rules and Regulations</a></li>

So I'm boggled too.
Blots of Info

moraes
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby moraes » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:39 pm

cyblot wrote:Another thread (http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9569) mentioned something about maybe $140 not being enough of an incentive for people, so I read up on the contest info again.

Yes, maybe prizes should be rethinked... and maybe we should engage ourselves in finding **more** sponsors. I've started a list of book publishers (those who publish books about CSS, design and web related stuff) and other possible sponsors two weeks ago, but I don't know where I've put it. :-|

Anyway, I've started the list looking at other contests sponsors (I thought it could be a good idea). When I'm home I'll try to find it again or I'll start another one. :-|

Anyway the list included:
- hosts;
- book publishers;
- software vendors;
- online services;

And they were not big or very known (but their sites were good ones!). We just have to start browsing and googleing for a while and we can come up with a *big* list.
moraes
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby moraes » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:36 pm

cyblot wrote:3. Is there a minimum amount one can donate to the contest through PayPal? I can imagine that some community members might wish to contribute $5/$10 so a bunch of contributions would turn into a nice addition to the prize pool, but if there's only one contributor, it's probably rather pointless.

Let's create some donation forms and add a "donate" button urgently! I think this is a great idea!!!

moraes
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:28 pm

I've added a contact.php and put a donate button on the about.php page - kind of in a rush so I'll keep refining this over the week. I plan to change sponsor.php to have a prepopulated form that connects to the contest email address that will make it easier for people to sponsor.

Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:10 am

Post to bump up thread.

I have revised the distribution of prizes (http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/structure.php) to include second prizes in all the categories, as well as increased the prizes for the static design category to encourage non-Nucleus designers to participate.

Contest rules have also been updated (http://skins.nucleuscms.org/contest/rules.php) for more clarification.

chips

Postby chips » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Hi everyone,

Maybe a translation of the contest page would be attractive for french users or simply french non-professionnal designers :)
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:06 am

Yes, please!

If any non-English speakers would like to translate the contest page to other languages, please feel free and contact us!

DeusExMachina

Postby DeusExMachina » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:11 am

Some ideas from a graphic designer...

If there's no $$$ incentive there will be little interest. This is a problem with all skin jobs (forums, blogs, software, etc). It's tedious work.

Designers specialize now. They work on a particular brand and stick with it, then hang out at places folks are needing work done (which means not here -- so advertising needs to goto their hotspots). Translating alone isn't going to work.

Need to attract designers to specialize in Nucleus work, just as they're doing with forum software (where the money is). How? Make a honey pot to attract them to want to design for Nucleus. Get $500 (get a Paypal donation setup to add those pennies) and the winning designer can get $300, while the runner up $200. The reasoning for that is to make it a competition and worth trying. One of the problems is when someone truly "overqualified" submits a design that's out of the rest of the designers league, which sinks participation ("Why bother? S/he's won already" deal).

After learning via this method, they'll carry the skills elsewhere and slowly the skin community can grow.

Deadlines need to be realistic as well. One month is a good range, not anything less, as it does take time to design XHTML Strict from scratch (few specialize in Strict, most are working on Transitional now).

BTW, it will also help to make Nucleus as friendly to design for as forum software. In this skin field designing for vBulletin is almost equal to designing for the rest of the forum software. Those skills of learning the php variables/shorthand forum devs implemented can't readily be transfered to Nucleus (where's the BBCode for example?), which hurts interest as it's more learning curve time. Time they rather spend making a living.

So in a nutshell...

1. Setup a honey pot (Paypal donations) to a certain money limit ($500 is a reasonable "work" cost for a winner and a runnerup).
2. Attract future designers by advertizing at their hotspots (like Sitepoint/Devshed, etc) of the competition.
3. Skills acquired for doing the competition is seed money to help jumpstart interest in Nucleus skin design (which will eventually become a specialized community).
4. Make a realistic deadline.
5. In the future, make Nucleus more cross platform friendly (borrow logic from the forum dev community), to attract a even larger skin and mod community.

Return to “Skins Contest!”