Extension of the Skin Contest due to lack of entries?

Everything about the Nucleus Skin Contest. Ask your questions, plug your design, and more...

Should we extend the Skin Contest due to lack of entries?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:04 am

1. Yes! Extend the Skin Contest until the end of 2006
29%
2. No! Close the Skin Contest as planned and allow the judges to allocate prizes to their discretion
35%
3. Yes! Extend the Skin Contest until the end of June 2006
35%
4. Other (I will suggest this in the thread)
No votes

Total votes: 17
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Extension of the Skin Contest due to lack of entries?

Postby Leng » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:04 am

Seeing how there's one more week to go, yet we've only got 3 entries in the Skins Contest, I think we're going to have to decide what we're going to do about it. I suggest the following options:

1. Extend the Skin Contest to run until the end of 2006
It's a rather radical approach, but to be fair, submitting quality designs (which is what we're after) will take a good couple of months. Especially if we want to encourage people to submit more than 1 entry and they are required to be originals. If this doesn't draw in more entries, then our publicity machine (or lack thereof) is broken.

2. Close the Skin Contest as planned and allow the judges to allocate prizes to their discretion
This means not necessarily all prizes will be won, nor will all the amounts in each category be necessarily won, and not necessarily every entry receives a prize. Any funds not allocated can be saved for prizes in future contests.

3. Extend to end of June 2006
Suggested in thread: extend contest until end of June 2006. Not quite as radical as #1 but still gives people more time to work on submissions.

4. Some other suggestion
If you have another suggestion, please post in this thread.

I'll be updating this post and the poll with new suggestions for a nice summary and the course of action we end up taking.

In the event of a tied vote/no votes/indecision by 29 January, I will choose Option 1 which gives us the most flexibility and make a post on the contest website as such.

UPDATE: It's 11 votes for extending to 6 for letting it close as planned. In about 8 hours I will close the poll and update the contest site with the results. If you have any other suggestions, please make them ASAP. If you haven't voted, please cast your vote now.

FINAL: The Nucleus CMS Skin Design Contest has been extended until the end of June 2006.
Last edited by Leng on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deborahlau.com | To-Do List
Questions? See the FAQ, read the docs, or browse our plugins!!
Armon
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Armon » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:23 pm

So sad to hear there are only three skins. I voted option 1.

What I think the problem is, is that too little people know Nucleus and therefor too little people have heard of the skin contest. So I'd say give it some more time (don't know about *the end of 2006*, maybe August/September/October) but in the meanwhile, let's do LOADS and LOADS of advertising. Send out some sort of "press bulletin" to any and every css/design website we can find. I don't know when 3.3 is coming out, but maybe some sort of push-message system can be built in (last-minute) so that the word is spread to every Nucleus user. And let's make some "Uncle Karma wants you"-kind of message that the "normal" bloggers can put up. I mean I have the button, but if no one knows what Nucleus is, let alone a Nucleus "skin" (I'm just pointing out that "theme" is more common), who's gonna click it.
Please update any "ported by Armon Toubman" links to http://www.armontoubman.com Thanks!

Is your question not solved yet?
stoo

Postby stoo » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:54 pm

I'm with Armon on this one...

I'd submit skins if I had the time to do them - with running a web design company I'm a bit busy with commisions...
Legolas
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Legolas » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:10 pm

How about letting it end just before the summer vacation?
roel
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby roel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:55 pm

Extending it is probably the best idea.
Thing is: how do we get more people to participate? E.g., how do we organize the publicity and then how do we get people to create skins?
Monkeybrain

Postby Monkeybrain » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:29 pm

I know I'd like to creat a skin or two, but I'm fairly newbie at css still, and I've just started expanding my own site understanding how Nucleus works.

If there was a very well written Walk Trough on how to create a Skin,
(no, not in the admin area, but actualy "skinning")
I'm sure more would participate in the competition.

On extending, I'd say May/June would be a faily good suggestion.

Just a few thoughts..
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:55 am

roel wrote:Thing is: how do we get more people to participate? E.g., how do we organize the publicity and then how do we get people to create skins?

As mentioned somewhere in a recent thread, Nucleus does not have a very large market share in the blogging software sector, so just posting it in Nucleus sites won't work. We need more public exposure on high traffic sites but getting through to them is a nightmare.

I guess it boils down to 2 things:
1. I don't think we have enough prize incentive for non-Nucleus designers to want to learn the skinning intricacies of Nucleus.
2. There aren't enough designers within the Nucleus community itself that has the time to enter.

Perhaps what we should have done was not try to tackle so much at first. I think in hindsight we hould just have made it a plain old design contest to build a reputation, then in future years we could slowly try to encourage designers to use Nucleus.

Extending the contest should hopefully fix #2, but as for #1, the only thing I can think of is to encourage everyone to actually devote a whole blog item on the contest, then pull some strings to get everyone they know to blog about it. We could also contact more sponsors but that hasn't worked out that well. Opensourcecms promised to help out but I have yet to see any tangible evidence of that (karma hasn't notified us that he's received the prize donation pledged and I haven't seen the front page article promised).

As for a walkthrough on skinning, I'm not sure how one would go about writing such a thing. I'll give it a try this week though and see how I go.

cyblot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Re: Extension of the Skin Contest due to lack of entries?

Postby cyblot » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:14 pm

Leng wrote:Seeing how there's one more week to go, yet we've only got 3 entries in the Skins Contest, I think we're going to have to decide what we're going to do about it.

It is sad to hear there are only three entries, but there might some explanations for that, like have been offered. Nucleus not having a large market share is one, of course. Limited time and no press attention might be a second reason.

I voted 3 for the simple reason that I don't think extending until the end of 2006 is a good idea. That is too long. I'd suggesting extending until May or maybe June, at the latest. Before we do that, I think it would only be fair to ask the creators of the current entries (I'm hoping those are not three entries by the same person :wink: ) if they mind extending the date. I know the rules state the organisation may update the rules at any time, but I think it's decent to still see how they feel about it.

What we need to think of next, is press coverage, yes. Some suggestions, just brainstorming on a Sunday afternoon:
- create a standard e-mail and send it out to as many of the IT news sites we can think of. Create a thread for submissions of sites. Large or small, as long as "the organisation" of the contest can contact them. Slashdot, the Register, and whatever else you read.

- create a competition around the competition coverage: reserve $50 prize money for a random winner of a "skin contest blog post" competition. Anyone writing a blog entry about the skin design contest can send in a link to that blog post. From all entries, a random winner is drawn, winning the $50. Or x bucks for first place, y bucks for second, or whatever. Some incentive to get the word out, which can also appeal to non-Nucleus users.

- as an alternative, maybe a Google Adwords campaign can be paid for with some of the price money (or new contributions). If anyone has any experience with this, maybe they can tell us whether it's a stupid idea to even consider :lol:

- add a link to the design contest in Usenet/e-mail/forum signatures that you use outside of the Nucleus forums
Blots of Info
http://www.golb.org
Suvoroff

Postby Suvoroff » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:58 am

vote for 2

I think who want to participate in skin contest, they do it.

I can promise you that it will be 3 skin submittion more/
http://nucleus.com.ru - Nucleus CMS RuSupport
PB

Postby PB » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Only 3? that's too bad.

I'd originally planned on submitting one, but ran into computer problems, and then got tired of dealing with CSS. I may yet try again (because Learning is Fun!) if the due date were extended, but the end of the year is too far away.

I vote for sometime around the summer.
kg

My suggestions for the skin contest

Postby kg » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:45 pm

I vote for number 3: I think the skin contest should be extended until June (maybe the first or last day). A year is a too long period to motivate people to do something.

I have two ideas how to handle the extension of the contest:
  • A extra price or bonus should be given to participants that have submitted their skin until the regular end of the contest.
  • The skin contest is splitted into two parts and the winners of the first round will nominated at februar.
If we think about a fair solution for the competitors that have already submitted their skins we find a good solution for all. :)
admun
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby admun » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:53 pm

i think extending to the summer is a good idea. meanwhile, we need some marketing effort.....
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:10 am

I have updated the poll to include option 3: extend the contest until end of June 2006.

Currently it's 11 votes for extending and 6 for closing. The poll will close in approximately 8 hours. If you have not voted, please do so now. If you have a new suggestion, please let us know in this thread.

Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:47 am

FINAL: The Nucleus CMS Skin Design Contest has been extended until the end of June 2006.

Now it's time for everyone to:

1. Create some more entries; and

2. Create some publicity for the contest.

DeusExMachina

Postby DeusExMachina » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 am

Poll #3

Some of us are new to Nucleus (let alone any blogware). So learning how to skin Nucleus is going to take some learning time (there's no tcats/vb or BBcode/showthread.php, etc. to jump into to whip out a design). This is completely scratch designing. 8O
faceh

Postby faceh » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:30 pm

i was looking forward to the end of this contest so i could see some of the new skins.. but now i see that there will be no more skin releases until the end of June 2006, since all of the decent ones will be 'kept secret' until the contest ends... thats a long time for nucleus to suffer with a not-so-interesting set of skins... a shame...
http://www.faceh.com - faceh.com Webdesign
http://www.jetblag.com - Japan Blogs
http://www.oldsushi.com - Huge Japan community
http://oldsushi.com/blurb - Funny and interesting shit from Japan
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby Leng » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:57 am

DeusExMachina wrote:This is completely scratch designing. 8O

That is why we have a "Static Design" category, for people who know their html and css but aren't familiar with the Nucleus CMS skinning system. So please don't feel put off by the skinning system - submit a static design!

After the contest is over, all static designs will be ported as skins, so you can port your own skin over. Wouldn't that be a good way to participate in the contest AND learn how to skin Nucleus?

Return to “Skins Contest!”