NP_Ordered 1.0 Set order of items and categories

Post your new plugins here!
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi Dis: I didn't uploaded so far your update, but... whilst I was about to do it, I updated the index page and... The box where I inserted the html appears EMPTY, and the loaded index page doesn't take the css spec! It appears all white.

Actually this 3.65 sucks a lot. This version is a complete CRAP!

Where are the coders? What are they doing? Is this a way to tell us "we are renouncing to update nucleus anymore"?
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:00 pm

So let me get this straight Hiro... You refuse to read something because it is 'boring', and the coders who provide an update you don't bother to install are to blame?

A plugin broke with changes made to 3.65, you can't be bothered to fix the plugin even though someone else coded it for you, but you do take the time to come on here to tell us 3.65 sucks and is crap. Complete crap.

Thank you for taking the time to set us straight. You should probably switch to Wordpress.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Just to be clear, I am a little irked that you, on one hand, refuse to use the patch that someone took the time to share here, or even take the time to read something you consider boring. Then turn around and complain it's not working.

However you are correct in saying that Nucleus seems to be without any coders, other than the few kind individuals who have shared their work here on the forum. As far as I know, for years Frank was the only one left, and he got tired of being a one man show here, and moved on. I can't remember the last time anyone else, who is an official member of the Nucleus team, has posted anything here on the forum, or in any other way communicated with users.

If your installation of Nucleus isn't working to your liking, and you either unable or unwilling to accept the help given here in the forum, then perhaps it is time for you to move on.

My suggestion for you is to switch to Wordpress.
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

WillyP wrote:So let me get this straight Hiro... You refuse to read something because it is 'boring', and the coders who provide an update you don't bother to install are to blame?

A plugin broke with changes made to 3.65, you can't be bothered to fix the plugin even though someone else coded it for you, but you do take the time to come on here to tell us 3.65 sucks and is crap. Complete crap.

Thank you for taking the time to set us straight. You should probably switch to Wordpress.

Oh well, there's surely something better than wordpress! Provided a wysiwyg way to customize the templates, of course. But I guess that yours is a superficial, temporary vent: you know, scanning an endless discussions about one argument filled with endless code, isn't a must for simple users who chew just a little of coding and are focused specially with external customization...

Besides, "one" plugin isn't the culprit; but many other things are. Let's start from the very installation, for example! How it comes that versions before this installed without any efforts and still work? You tried to put the blame on my server's specifics: but I posted that my server is "en ligne" with the requirements. Though, no replies from you. And I'm the one to blame? And for what? For having been a faithful user of this cms since 8 years or so?

I even asked help to some "friends" (whom eventually you know of...) who roam constantly here: but this time I didn't got any help. Too bad: say it was for a cause where are childrens. Thus, I had to face the issue with my own efforts: lamenting inefficiency of the bundle.

Perhaps you extended the evident nasty load of problematic code which is this current version (which isn't clear if it is 3.5+ or 3.6+, due the dwl image says one thing, whilst the dwl link caps to another... If you haven't efficient graphics who could fix that, well, gimme the psd source and I'll fix it: currently it contributes to smear a sense of transcuration...), to the whole nucleus... Too bad, when the very owners distrust their creature!

Perhaps the worst thing is that, at least 'til the times when this cms still worked almost flawlessly, I was among its prime users and supporters (despite language barreer, I also partecipated with many suggestions to a huge number of plugins; but I guess that suggestions aren't so welcome as coding one thing... And you wasn't among the people who interacted with me, Willy: nay, these are the prime times I have a "contact" with you); thus I think I'm not the one to blame, if the latest versions suck (just face it: better a honest word than hypocrisy. Two thirds of nucleus users are lamenting that this damn version is full of bugs! Wouldya suggest them also to stick to wordpress uh?). And anyway, I guess that I wasn't blaming you or the user whom you would alleged to...

You may agree with me that it is really curious to see the box of the index template void, just few seconds after I've pasted in it the html code and I've hit the button to update the template!

The worse is that the latest reply I got from you is this kinda "reproach", whilst other posts of mine ended ignored (how curious if one should get harsh in order to get heard!): included when I posted in order to inform about some issues. Would you like I say you "bravo"? If you wish, I'll say it; but you know, it weren't sincere.

I'm working unpaid too, and for a instructional activity like a school: and I'm struggling with the issues of this version so far, 'til now, whilst I'm answering you.
I understand that, when problems get stratified, it is difficult to put a remedy without thinking to temporary patches: but, if I wasn't in a hurry and I wasn't efficient in templating with nucleus, I had had already switched to something else, specially after I had to ear from you to "move on"!

The fact that this cms is free (many others are; I sticked to it after many trials with others, simply 'cause this is easier to customize about templates: but this won't meant anyway that this "faith" would endure forever, if I'll find that the product weren't user-friendly like whom who code it...) wouldn't involve that the ones who felt to undertook the task to bring it to the world (without anybody asked or forced 'em to undertake such an effort...) shouldn't feel the duty to safeguard their reputation against whom who could boast it isn't worth to be used... And, more than this, to avoid problems to whom who already installed their product or who don't have any alternatives to it! 'Cause to have no alternatives doesn't mean "take it or leave it", but "we'll make the possibile to correct the errors of distraction we made".

I hope all this makes a clear sense to you.

And I'll close with "long live to Nucleus: down with them who believe it is perfect as it is"...
dis

Postby dis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:31 pm

Hiro wrote:Hi Dis: I didn't uploaded so far your update, but... whilst I was about to do it, I updated the index page and... The box where I inserted the html appears EMPTY, and the loaded index page doesn't take the css spec! It appears all white.

Actually this 3.65 sucks a lot. This version is a complete CRAP!

Where are the coders? What are they doing? Is this a way to tell us "we are renouncing to update nucleus anymore"?

Hi Hiro,

Sounds like maybe you ran into the same problem I had. If so, it's because of the changes in PHP after PHP v5.4 onwards, and not exactly because of Nucleus itself.

See this thread here for the info on how to fix it: http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21190

Basically, what I did was:

1) Upgrade Nucleus from 3.64 to 3.65.
2) Install the first patch mentioned in the link above.
3) Install the second patch mentioned in the link above.
4) Remove all my plugins from the plugins folder, and then slowly put them back one by one because some plugins also have old code that don't work well with the new PHP5.4/5.5 versions.

For myself I found that NP_Ordered and NP_MultipleCategories caused problems. NP_Ordered is now fixed as per my earlier post, but I have not started trying to figure out MultipleCats yet 8O :? :lol:

If you do all the above in the exact order described above, it should hopefully work ok for you. If any plugins cause problems, leave them uninstalled and the blog should load ok once they are removed.

Hope this helps!
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

dis wrote:Hi Hiro,

Sounds like maybe you ran into the same problem I had. If so, it's because of the changes in PHP after PHP v5.4 onwards, and not exactly because of Nucleus itself.

See this thread here for the info on how to fix it: http://nucleuscms.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21190

Hi Dis... well, ok, thanks.
I agree that if plugins don't work, one should roll back: the problem is the waste of time after having customized any theme/template and so on. For a coder who lives before a screen most of their day, perhaps it is "normal" to past time with "trial & error": for common people it isn't. And perhaps that's why the former aren't so keen to understand the latters' discouragement and vents.
Hope they will agree that there's need to put hand on it, 'cause this version is almost a disaster. The issues which I'm facing so far (and I'm struggling 'til late at night, right now, in order to manage the problems) with 3.65 are outta of this world.
dis

Postby dis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 pm

Hiro wrote:Hi Dis... well, ok, thanks.
I agree that if plugins don't work, one should roll back: the problem is the waste of time after having customized any theme/template and so on. For a coder who lives before a screen most of their day, perhaps it is "normal" to past time with "trial & error": for common people it isn't. And perhaps that's why the former aren't so keen to understand the latters' discouragement and vents.
Hope they will agree that there's need to put hand on it, 'cause this version is almost a disaster. The issues which I'm facing so far (and I'm struggling 'til late at night, right now, in order to manage the problems) with 3.65 are outta of this world.

Hi Hiro,

After upgrading to 3.65 and adding the two patches, I have not really had any issues myself so far other than with the NP_Ordered and NP_MultipleCategories plugins.

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble. It sounds like maybe you have a very customized version, or maybe you are using a lot of plugins that have problems working with PHP 5.4 / 5.5?

Unfortunately as WillyP said, it seems as though almost all the old coders and developers have stopped supporting Nucleus :( I am not a programmer myself, so I am also depending on the goodwill of whoever is left here who is still willing to help :oops:

I have used Nucleus for a long time so I'm quite sad to say this, but if your needs are urgent and intended for a production environment, it might truly be in your best interests to switch to a different CMS, as WillyP suggested, because it is quite possible that the Nucleus project may be pretty much dying soon (or already dead), due to the lack of interested developers. :cry:
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 am

Hiro, I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I've never said the 3.65 release was perfect, or even good. In fact, it broke on my site. Fortunately I was able to revert to the older version of PHP that I had been using, and so I stuck with the older version of Nucleus. I'm not even suggesting the patches and work-arounds will work on your site. I'm not a coder, I can't help you with that.

What I am saying is that Nucleus has been on it's death bed for some time, with only Frank propping it up now and then. I've been using Nucleus for about 9 years now, and it pains me to say it, but, it is dying a slow painful death. There are too few people active here who know code to provide support. You can still use Nucleus, of course, but it might take a bit more work on your part than it did in the past. I'd love to help you get your site working, but if you can't be bothered to read 'boring' instructions on how to do so, and feel applying a series of patches is somehow not right, why should anyone bother writing those boring words or writing those patches. And I don't see any reason to believe this situation is going to change at any time in the future. I do hope I am wrong on that point, though.

Of the few people who are active here, I believe none of them have access to the website, so there's no point in creating a new button that says 3.65, there's no way to upload it. I have moderator rights in the forum, and access to the skin site. So I'll continue to remove spam as needed.

Two thirds of nucleus users are lamenting that this damn version is full of bugs! Wouldya suggest them also to stick to wordpress uh?

Yes, I would. Support here has become very spotty, and if you, or anyone else, aren't able or willing to read boring technical discussions on how to fix it yourself, you aren't going to be happy with the current product. If you don't like WordPress, that's ok there are plenty of other choices. Joomla, Drupal, ModX, Concrete5, for example, all are very busy, well supported products. I'm certainly not telling you to leave. I do hope you get your site fixed, and I hope you stay with Nucleus. However, it's my opinion that you would best be served with another product.
Hiro

Postby Hiro » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Willy. Well, perhaps it was you who misunderstood my prime "vent", 'cause actually it wasn't a vent, but a questionmark of amazement.
Prolly the misunderstanding was due to the fact that, when writing, it is very difficult to express the shades of the actual feelings; and I guess that's not the case to recur to emoticons, when the discussion gets "dramatic".

Coming to factive rows, besides an eventual robust core, the strong point of Nucleus is actually one: the template scheming. It is plain on-page html, to which to add snippets.
The feeble part are, well, snippets. Or, better, plugins. I mean, that when you leave the coding of the plugins to the users instead of coding 'em you (the coders, who know the whereabouts of the Nucleus' core), the Whole system becomes prone to certain problems. Probably you should undertake the revision of any user-made plugins right before they was proposed to the wiki (and, specially: please this would be valid mostly for plugins submitted with languages such as the ones of chinese/japanese communities...).

Second: if versions like 3.33 was so robust and stable (I still use it in my personal site, and I've intention to stick with it until a very very very stable update...), why did you did got past of its specs, starting altogheter with a new set of instructions, capping to 3.65 (but I was unable to install any versions up to 3.4+ to 3.65: I had to make my provider to setup, and after many problems we was successful to have it installed: though, 'til now I'm facing several problems with customization)? Didn't you figured out that this may had had involved serious inconvenient either with plugins' or system's compatibility? To say one: it isn't very curious and symptomatic, that the item inputing box of 3.65 gets void after having submitted the article? This issue features since the previous versions: I highlighted in some posts scattered to and fro, but actually nobody noticed it.

Anyway, keep the good work. Hope Nucleus will re-establish and stand up alive & kicking. The contrary would be a very great loss within the user-friendly cms showcase. If only I had been a coder, I've helped: but I'm just a graphic, and somewhat a "visionary" user who could just suggest things and improvements.

Ciao.
blueGeorge

Postby blueGeorge » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

For myself, I like Nucleus. I think textpattern is better than Wordpress.

Sad to see Nucleus fade away. I'm not a php coder either.
http://blue.cwahi.net/ Nessie of Marsport
http://jimswl.cwahi.net/ Short Wave Listening
slightlysome

Postby slightlysome » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:26 pm

I have released NP_Ordered version 1.36-lm1. It is based on version 1.36 of the NP_Ordered plugin.

There are no functional changes in this release, but it has been tested and updated to run on PHP 5.4 and MySQL 5.5.

For a download link and more information on the plugin see the NP_Ordered plugin page in the LMNucleus plugin repository.
- Leo -
LMNucleus CMS home page: nucleus.slightlysome.net
My Nucleus powered blogs: www.slightlysome.net - www.tswtraveler.com
My Nucleus plugins.
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Good news! Thanks for all the work you've put into this.

NP_Ordered is the plugin that really puts the CMS in NucleusCMS!
dis

Postby dis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Just wanted to note that slightlysome's new Ordered version works perfectly for me with the latest 3.70 Nucleus version from github. Yay!

Thanks again to Leo and the Japanese Nucleus team for all your help and hard work!

Return to “Plugin Development”