Comedy Improv site running nucleus

Describe yours, and all the nifty tricks you used
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Comedy Improv site running nucleus

Postby ftruscot » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Here's a pro bono site I have been working on for my brother-in-law's Comedy Improv Company. They've been doing the shows for 5 or 6 years now, but only recently have decided to market and make it more like a business than a hobby.

Off the Wall Comedy Improv

It's a still a work in progress and they are adding a second weekend show next week, so we'll be modifying how we show some of the info on the main page to highlight both shows.

The site is running a SVN version of nucleus, meaning a yet as unpublished version that will be part of what will one day be version 3.60. This is because of some things I needed to do to make my modified version of NP_EventBlog work to show future items in a controlled way and without hacks to the core (though I guess I did hack the core, but we'll call it a feature addition).

The site is made up of two blogs, the main blog and an events blog. The events blog is reserved for shows and can display shows in the future and past. The main blog is for holding the main content of the site, though much of it is on special pages, not blog items.

The skin is a modified version of the Nature skin.

Plugins used include:
NP_CustomURL: For controlling the urls used.
NP_TinyMCE: a WYSIWIG editor. I would not use it myself, but some people don't like typing in html
NP_Profile: Used to make custom profile for the members and to list the players on the Meet Our Players special page.
NP_Ordered: Used to control ordering of categories and what is shown where on certain pages. Also used to determine which template is used to show an item based on the category of the item. If they decide to have commenting on the site, this will be very useful.
NP_MailForm: Used for form on contact page
NP_ColorBox: Used to display pictures and coming soon a gallery on a special page.
NP_EventBlog: a modified version to work with my modified nucleus core. Handles events (shows) and displaying them. Will release my modified NP_EventBlog and NP_Calendar plugins when nucleus 3.60 is released. I still have some tweaking to do before then anyway.
NP_Calendar: a modified version to work with my modified core and NP_EventBlog. Used for displaying show archives (and futurives).
NP_BadBehavior: To keep the spammers at bay. Will also add a second line of defense like NP_Captcha, NP_ProtectByMD5, or other plugin, if they decide to allow commenting on the blog.
NP_OTW: my special sauce. Does a lot of little things specific to the site, like tying players to shows, and handling profiles differently if they are players or featured players or whatnot. Gets it's hands into a few other plugins to do this. One cool thing it does is looks in a special subfolder of the media folder for folders named after the show dates. If it finds one, it will use NP_ColorBox to display a gallery for that show on the archived event page and in the future general gallery page. This allows the troupe manager to upload any photos from a show using ftp and all he needs to do is name the folder correctly. He can also include a text file with some details about the show if he wants. I doubt this ever gets published since it is so specific to the site.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Looks nice!

My only critique would be that it doesn't really answer the question of what OTW really is. At first I thought it was a club, but then I noticed they were promoting shows in other clubs. The inclusion of featured players led me to think perhaps it is a booking agency...
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm

They used to have a little intro about OTW on the main page, but wanted it moved to its own page so they could push their Weekend of Comedy and opening of their second show. It's a good point, coming from an outsider, that the site doesn't readily answer that question of what they are. As we rearrange that front page to accommodate the second show, I'll mention your critique and see if we can't keep some form of intro on the front page for their new visitors.

Search our FAQ,

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Could be as simple as a different tagline. Instead of 'we're changing funny' to, perhaps, 'we're a group of improv artists changing funny'.

Yeah, that's a little clutzy...

'we're improv artists... and we're changing funny'

eh...

Off The Wall Comedy Improv
an Artists Group...
We’re changing funny.
Leng
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Re: Comedy Improv site running nucleus

Postby Leng » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:31 am

I really like how you have pulled this together, but I really especially like...

ftruscot wrote:NP_OTW: my special sauce. Does a lot of little things specific to the site, like tying players to shows, and handling profiles differently if they are players or featured players or whatnot. Gets it's hands into a few other plugins to do this. One cool thing it does is looks in a special subfolder of the media folder for folders named after the show dates. If it finds one, it will use NP_ColorBox to display a gallery for that show on the archived event page and in the future general gallery page. This allows the troupe manager to upload any photos from a show using ftp and all he needs to do is name the folder correctly. He can also include a text file with some details about the show if he wants. I doubt this ever gets published since it is so specific to the site.

I could think of a large number of uses for this! This would let any artists who do live performances (e.g. bands) or people who do public exhibitions (e.g. photographers) or maybe even guest speakers (e.g. keynote speakers who speak at a lot of different conferences) easily manage multimedia generated from such events.

From generally reading the forums, there's always been a lot of curiosity about NP_EventBlog, even after the plugin became defunct. I think your OTW plugin would have a lot of use and could definitely be generalised!
deborahlau.com | To-Do List
Questions? See the FAQ, read the docs, or browse our plugins!!
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:40 am

Leng, I just woke up to find a ton of notifications from the forum and expected to be greeted by a spree of spamming. What a present surprise to find you plowing your way through the site.

I've had to do a couple of things to get a working version of NP_EventBlog. First was to modify the core (someday to be part of version 3.60), and secondly to modify NP_EventBlog to take advantage. This will be easily used by anybody.

As for NP_OTW, I'm not sure. There may be parts of it that could be written into a companion plugin for NP_EventBlog, but a bunch of it is very much not generalizable. I've been using it as catch all of customization. I'll look into extracting some common NP_EventBlog-related features into a publishable plugin after 3.60 is released.

Search our FAQ,

Check out my plugins

Return to “Show off your Nucleus site!”