Reactor: A Descent fan fiction and scifi site.

Describe yours, and all the nifty tricks you used
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Reactor: A Descent fan fiction and scifi site.

Postby WillyP » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Reactor

This site is for fans of the pc game, Descent, to read and write Descent fan fiction, and SciFi. Each story gets a separate blog, and a custom theme.

The main theme and that of the first story on the bookshelf are my own design. In the main blog only the category 'Reactions' has comments, the rest do not. For each story, comments in the story are hidden from public viewing, and relabeled as 'Team Notes', using 'if onteam' to serve different templates.

I have also created a draft feature, where if the blog description is 'draft' and you are not on any team, you will not see a link to that blog. If you are logged in and on any team, a draft blog link will show under the heading 'Draft'. And if you do visit a blog in draft and you are not on that blog's team then you get a notice it's in draft and no content. Sorry. :wink: Also the Team Admin can place a chapter in draft mode by putting 'draft' in the description. Each item is a page, and a category is a chapter.

So there is still some work to do, I need to write some tutorials on how to use the site as it's quite a bit more complicated that what most people are used to.

Plugsins include Ordered, CustomURL, AccessControl, OnAnyTeam, BadBehaviour, TinyMCE and ColorBox.

Issues: If you start reading a page from the main index, ie, not in any chapter, you can use the next page to read all the pages, but if you choose a chapter, when you get to the last page you must choose the next chapter then the first page i it. While this is correct for a blog, it is not the best for a book. If you read a paper book, when you get to the end of the chapter, you continue turning the pages to read the next chapter.
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Cool, WillyP.

I've got a plugin that I use privately that may be of some use to you. I'm not ready to release it, and I may never, because it takes some work to maintain and thus will be work for me to support. It's also not that well polished or documented, but it works.

It's a style customizer. You can take base skin and set the structure, and default images, etc... like you would do normally. Then you enable it in the customizer and configure some specific CSS bits that can be overridden by the blog owner (admin) to customize the look of his blog (here book). Then all books can have the same skin (page structure, size, custom menus, etc...), but a self-customized look. It allows you to create and manage just one skin for all the books, but have them all look different, yet structurely uniform.

If you're interested, let me know and I can email some stuff to check it out.
Is your question not solved yet?
Search our FAQ,
read the Documentation, or
browse the list of available plugins.

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:31 pm

That would be sweet! Thanks!

my e-mail is my user name here at prepare4descent.net
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Just sent an email.

Search our FAQ,

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks! I got it, I'll have to play with that a bit. :wink:
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Just curious if you've had a chance to check it out and whether you think it would be useful or have any questions.

Search our FAQ,

Check out my plugins
WillyP
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby WillyP » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 pm

I did play with it a bit myself on my test site but I don't think I am going to deploy it, at least for a while. Right now I am writing a tutorial for writers on how to just get a page published.

I do think it would be a cool addition to the site but want to get the stuff already in place sorted and tuts written, before adding any more.
ftruscot
Nucleus Guru
Nucleus Guru

Postby ftruscot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Cool. Just let me know if you have questions when you get around to working with it. It's a cool little thing that is sitting around collecting dust on my hard-drive right now. It would be good if it could find a use, and your site is a perfect fit. Best to take care of the core functionality first though.

Search our FAQ,

Check out my plugins

Return to “Show off your Nucleus site!”